noisy girl

Thoughts, musings and happenings from a feminist composer.

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Day one of my new blog. This will be a space for me to share my thoughts about all things, but especially the two things I care about most: writing music and feminism. Music has been a big part of my life for the last 20 years. I've had lessons on the recorder, piano, cello and voice, but my two main talents are playing the flute and writing music. Flute playing has been left behind in the last few years as I returned to uni to concentrate on writing music and hone my skills as a composer. I can happily say that as a result of this focused effort I am well on the way to creating a style that I feel suits me, and has meaning for me. Making music is now inextricably bound up with the feminist ideology I subcribe to, and most pieces aim to express feminist ideas or a feminist aesthetic.

I'll post in more detail about my music and ideas in the days to come...

As part of my introduction, I should mention a few more things about myself. I was born in Adelaide, Australia and lived there for most of my life. I spent one year in Canberra studying flute, and moved to Melbourne just over four years ago. I live happily with my two cats, and have recently developed an overwhelming obsession with knitting! No doubt this will also become a topic of discussion here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home